Sunday, January 27, 2008

(stereo)typically french

The roommate had one of her infamously long dinners last night. Usually I decline, but decided to participate in this one (and didn’t get to bed until around 2 this morning). Here’s a run down of the guest list.


Roommate’s best friend: let’s call her bf. Roomy and bf share the same first name and have known each other since childhood. Bf is here for the weekend with her boyfriend and both of them are still married to other people (I have no idea why they don’t divorce). Bf separated from her husband, was then with another guy who committed suicide and she got breast cancer. Now she’s with the current guy, I think they might’ve met on Meetic, but I’m not positive. Side note - bf tends to stare which, with my American sensitivities, I find rude.

One of roommate’s ex’s: roomy has dated several men (the boyfriend and I refer to them as the Pepes) during the year and half that I’ve lived with her. I’ll have to explain the Pepes in another post because it would be too complicated to add them all here. The Pepe at dinner last night is the one she was with when I moved in. They were off and on for a while, seem to fight whenever they’re together and he’s still in love with her. She claims they’re not getting back together, but she slept at his place last night while bf and boyfriend stayed here. I suppose they can have a friendly overnight “visit” without getting back together, however I’m skeptical.

Friend of roommate (who is also an ex): let’s call this guy Francois. Francois is a serial dragueur and every time I see him he’s with someone different or on the prowl. He and roomy dated briefly before I knew her, but she soon figured out that he was dating several other women at the same time. They’ve remained good friends. The last time Francois was here a few months ago he was with a woman from South America. They met in NY while he was working there under the table as a waiter. Since then, they’ve been PACSed, have broken up and even though they’re no longer together she works for him sometimes. Last night he was with a new lady. They met at a party and have been together 2 weeks. I give it another week or two before he moves on to the next one…

2 comments:

Betty Carlson said...

This is hilarious! I've never really seen this side of French people -- most of our friends have been in stable marriages, although a few divorces are coming along as we get into our forties...

Anonymous said...

Wow, has all the markings of a basis for a mainstream French comedy! I wish the French people I knew were a little more interesting with their lovelives. Their personal lives are strictly personal and nobody ever talks about themselves. Sure I love to talk about films, books and culture too but I love a little gossip on the side.