Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How long until chivalry kicks in?

I was waiting at the bus stop when an elderly lady with a cane shuffled up and stood near me. The bench was occupied by 2 middle-aged women, another woman who looked to be in her 30s and a guy in his late 20s or early 30s. None of them moved.

I waited a good 10-15 seconds and then I turned to look at the guy. He was staring in the direction of the old lady then glanced up to see me giving him a look. He immediately asked the old lady if she wanted to sit down. She accepted and thanked him.

Perhaps he would have done the same without my non-verbal prompting, but what was he waiting for?

2 comments:

Pepe Le Pew said...

I hate to say it but chivalry is a dying art.
Yesterday at the grocery store I noticed a pregnant woman with two young girls. The woman and the girls all had their arms loaded with stuff. Apparently they went in to just buy a few things but got carried away. I looked down at my cart and I only had three small items. I grabbed my items and offered them my cart. The woman seemed shocked that someone would do something nice for a total stranger. In a perfect world she would be use to people doing nice things for each other.

A (Parisian) Seattleite back in Seattle said...

I remember being in shock the first time a man let me go ahead of him in the taxi line (this was in France). That short of thing doesn't happen often anymore.